ansteorra V1 #46

Chris Walden cmwalden at bga.com
Mon May 22 19:25:13 PDT 1995

Last night I had the misfortune of losing over thirty-five pistoles against
an excellent opponent of Shove-Groat.  It is my understanding that this
gentlemanly game is to be banned from the court of England and I fear that
this trend shall carry over into the courts of other countries as my
original home of Italy, and my current home of France.

Shove-Groat is obviously a game of skill, unlike many of the games played
with cards or dice that are simply trusting one's money to blind and fickle
luck.  Though I shall certainly feel the loss of my thirty-five pistoles, I
must bow to the greater skill of my opponent who won them from me.  Given
time I shall return the favour to him.  I heard rumour that the censure was
begun as the result of an unfortunate game between a Royal and a more
skilled player.  The official story, however, is that the game is too
distracting from the business of court.

I remain Yours, etc.
Antonio Bastiano
or cmwalden at bga.com