around spins the barroom

Deborah Sweet dssweet at Okway.okstate.edu
Thu Nov 2 11:54:00 PST 1995

>> I sincerely hope you are not intending to perform this filk in SCA
>> bardic venues.

>> It is a science fiction filk song and has absolutely no place in the
>> SCA.

>I haven't heard the song.  Assuming it's a "period-like" song, does it
>matter where it came from?  If it's not, I can see your point.

>-Karl von Augsburg

"Around spins the barroom" is filked off of "Circles", which is a
pagan-themed song. (Which itself is filked off of a Christian song, I
think.) I am unsure of how the verses go, but the chorus includes these
lines:

And around and around and around spins the barroom
We are the children of Jim Beam and Tully.....

So you decide: does this sound medieval? It's a drinking song (which I'm
sure for some people would definitely make it ok). It's not a period
tune (but no one complains when "Circles" is sung). I don't think it's
period like, but then, *I* don't think "Circles" is period-like either
(it's modern-day pagan talking about things that happened further away
in time from the middle ages than we are now). Personally I would prefer
not to hear either of them at events, but if "Circles" is going to be
sung, then "Barroom" has as much validity to be sung, IMHO. Besides,
it's funnier.

Estrill