Squires

Nan Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 6 08:54:49 PST 1995

>I have a question first directed to Knights and then to the general populace.

Sir Conor macCinneide responds [his/he/him used generically]:

Ches>Do you make your squire's belt or do you ask them to make it themselves?

As a squire, I expected to receive a belt from my knight, and I did.
[correction to earlier answer, Ches, Simonn made the cloth belt that he
gave to Galen, Galen gave it to Conor, and Conor now has given it to his
first squire, Cnut.]

I then made many more to go with various costumes.

When I took my first squire, I gave him the same belt I had received.
Future squires will receive the other red belts which I have.  I made 3 of
them, I bought one, and a Squire-brother made one for me.

Ches>What kind of artwork do you put on the belt, your device - their
device - kingdom?

I have never been a huge fan of the squire's belt with the knight's arms on
the end, which is quite common in the Society.  I may eventually put my
badge on a belt for a squire.

Two of my squire's belts are already decorated: one has [black] compass
stars and one has [knotwork] dragons, both elements from my arms.  I prefer
the idea of decorating the belt with some recognizable element, rather than
the coat of arms on the end.

Ches>Do you have a ceremony for the belting?

I have no set ceremony for squiring!

Ches>What do you look for in a squire?

This question has a certain currency because I have two persons who wish to
be my squire, but whom I am not ready to take as squires.  The most
important thing I look for is a commitment to the concepts of chivalry and
a desire to be a knight.  Skill is less important than desire.  Some
knights will only take squires they feel will become knights.  I do not
feel this way.  Some do not possess the dexterity and skill to excel as
fighters, but they have the desire to pursue the goal of knighthood.  I am
willing consider such a person as a squire.

Ches>How many squires do you limit yourself to?

I have only one and he is enough of a problem for the moment (not really).
I can conceive of having up to half a dozen squires, but I have no preset
limit.
[I will add what I said to Ches in private, if *even* one of your squires
feels neglected or left out, you have too many--Catherine]

Ches>How do you feel about Knights that have too many squires?

Several years ago, one Ansteorran knight seemed to have at least a dozen
squires spread all over the kingdom.  Few, if any of them, saw their knight
on a regular basis.  A knight who has too many squires either does not
understand or does not care care about what *he* owes to his squires.

Ches>And, what constitues too many squires?

A knight has duties towards his squires.  When he cannot fulfill those
duties for all his squires, then he has too many.  Also, I hope that being
my squire will bring honor to my squires, and too many squires will dilute
that honor.

I *can* go on, and have, but that's enough for now.

Conor

transcribed and edited by Catherine Harwell

|Nan Bradford-Reid                    |HL Catherine Harwell, CIM, AST   |
|The Department of English            |Barony of Bryn Gwlad             |
|The University of Texas              |Kingdom of Ansteorra             |
|Austin, TX, sister city to Adelaide  |~Simplicitas sum Venustas~       |
|512-471-4991                         |Argent, on a fret vert, a rose   |
|n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu             |gules,barbed and seeded or.      |