Squires

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Tue Nov 7 12:54:18 PST 1995

Greetings all! Being a Knight of this fine Kingdom is a "good thing" I was
once a Squire to a Knight, well, two different Knights. The first was Sir
John the Plain of Shern...we knew that I would not receive a lot of personal
attention. Our agreement was such that if either of us felt that we were not
being trained or represented properly then we would end our contract. In time
this came to pass, Sir John passed me along to Sir Ian MacBaird, there were no
hard feelings between us and we remained friends until the untimely death of
Sir John. Sir Ian had many, many Squires...I was one of but a dozen or so. We
were a diverse lot...and we did not receive all the personal training each of
us needed. Usually because of distance and time constraints. The point I'm
slowly driving towards is this. I pick my Squires for their heart, not just
their ability with a sword. I expect each of them to do no less than I did.
To strive to be the best artsian, to serve their Kingdom to the limits of
their ability and beyond, and to seek out their train in the Way of Rattan
from _all_ members of our Circle. Some of my 9 1/2 Squires ('Tis a long story
that...*smile*) might never be Knights. That is just the way it is. But, they
do have one thing from me...my example to follow. I am not the most accessable
person, nor am I the best for their physical training, but I do train them. In
many different ways. The Knights and Master in the Chivalric Circle are the
best in the Known World, on average. All of us are versed in the Arts of
Courtly grace, the Arts & Sciences, service to our Crown and Kingdom, and theArtArts of Tournament and War. I don't just take "bodies" to say that I have a
lot of Squires, no, I have those folk "in my stable" that have Heart and
Desire, those that can operate, mostly, by themselves. Those that do not need
to have their steps guided every moment of the day. They are independent and
individuals, and I want them that way. Well, this rant is over for now. Thank
you all for the space and time to state my feelings. With respect and love to
each of you, my Squires, and Ansteorra,

Sir Arenvald Kief av Kiersted, Baron Ravens Fort, Lion of Ansteorra