Persian Mint Drink

Elizabeth Shahan ecs at infinity.ccsi.com
Wed Nov 1 16:45:57 PST 1995

In my recipe for persian mint drink, I add the sugar, water and vinegar
all at the same time, boil for 30 min or longet, till the house smells
more like vinegar than the syrup. Then I turn it off, let it cool just
long enough for the bubbles to stop rising, then add the mint and let set
till cool. I then strain out the mint leaves. This prevents the mint from
"cooking". This is tha same reason that when Making "proper English Tea"
that you let the water sit for 30 seconds after removing it from the boil.

 I usually use distilled apple cider vinegar, the white stuff, because
I've always got it around. I look foreward to experimenting with home-made
wine vinegar soon, based on an earlier post. Store bought wine vinegar is
very salty and often flavored, not quite what I want.

Hope these notes help.

BTW for those that were there, that was my mint drink served at Bryn
Gwlad Baronial, if you missed it you mid\ssed a FEAST!

Clare

> > 		 Persian Mint
Drink (revisited) > > 	4 cups sugar > 	2 1/2 cups water