BlackStar Changes

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Sat Nov 4 16:44:18 PST 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of R.Michael Litchfield to All]

 >>  If the SCA, Inc. were swimming in money, I'd agree.  It's not and the
 >> Black Star, for one, *could* get by on less.

 RL> I gotta quibble, the SCA inc. IS swimming in money, they will be
 RL> operating at a surplus of 10's of thousand at the end of FY. The Bod
 RL> want's a 6mo operating surplus. While I grudgingly agree that this is
 RL> a responable fiscal policy, I wonder if the comfort that that margin
 RL> provides is worth the inconvience to the members such belt-tightening
 RL> would call for, though the balckstar could easily cut out a number of
 RL> things (alternatively it could pursue advertising more aggressively).

Mcihael, (sic)

The SCA, Inc. cannot currently cover it's subscription liability.  If we all
quit tomorrow and demanded a refund on unreceived Balck Stars and TIs, they
could not pay us.  Further, if they suddenly had no income stream, they could
not pay their employees' salaries for much more than a quarter.  This does not
sound like a company swimming in money to me.

Granted, the $450K operating surplus the BoD thinks it needs is about 3 times
to high, but they still don't have half of what they really need, and they
can't cover the subscription liability.

The Kingdom Seneschal asked for suggestions.  I offered some.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel (soon to be moving...)
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable