Spins

Deborah Sweet dssweet at Okway.okstate.edu
Mon Nov 6 07:58:40 PST 1995

Aodhan writes:
>No. I have never expressed any opinion about the song itself, only
>about its appropriateness in SCA venues.  Try rereading what I wrote.

>As a matter of fact, I *do* like the song and would gladly join in if I
>heard it being sung at an SF filk session.

>I also like Star Trek and Babylon 5.  Does this mean that I should sing
>Klingon drinking songs or Mimbari laments at Candlemas??

Absolutely ... not, of course.

This is a problem that many people can't seem to differentiate between
what venues it is acceptable to sing different songs. They can't quite
seem to fathom that *any* SCA song can be sung at a SF Filk session, but
*not* all SF Filk can be sung at SCA events. (And the most irritating to
me are those songs that are based in some fantasy world that is
medieval-like, i.e. most all of Misty Lackey's stuff, etc.)

Estrill

(Whose really depressed because SoonerCon doesn't have a filk GOH for
this year & there won't be a Harmonicon next year)

[Though in '97 Harmonicon will be in Tulsa. And isn't that when
CostumeCon will be in St. Louis & San Antonio will have WorldCon? The
SCA will be getting the short end of the stick in '97 I anticipate.]