Pre-Raphaelite Art Exhibit

Nan Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 7 12:20:34 PST 1995

>>That's exactly what I thought you were going to say.  It's pretty to look
>>at, unfortunately, there are people out there who use it for
>>documentation--I've seen it!
>>
>>Catherine
>>

>>I have seen it as well, and worse.  I think that it is our job as artisans
>within the SCA to guide people to what is appropriate for documentation and
>what is 'really neat and pretty to look at"... I do hope the individual in
>question was gently steered away from this art form as documentation for a
>piece of costuming towards a more appropriate source.
>
>meadhbh

I personally was not in a position to do so at the time, but I believe a
laurel spoke with the individual privately.  Do not know who, or what the
outcome was.  Fortunately, the piece used was a fairly accurate
twelfth-century type gown, it was just that the individual involved thought
they had period documentation and had not done any other research to either
corroborate or discount the "evidence."  I have, of course, seen this with
"period" sources, as well; either is not advisable.

Catherine "yeah, I'm picky" Harwell