Shinai in Ansteorra

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Tue Nov 14 11:17:26 PST 1995

Ysoulde says:

>Shinai, as it was introduced to me by my then Knight Marshall, is a style of
>Japanese fencing. Recreates samari fighting done without armor.

As the area of interest of the SCA is western Europe within the Middle Ages
and Ren., if this fighting style only reflects oriental fencing then I would
be opposed to seeing it used here.

If however, the weapons used in shinai can be adapted to be used with European
fighting styles, then I would welcome it. My feeling is that at this time,
because of our armor standards, we only have the equivalent of the heavest
armored calvary of the Middle Ages. This is particularly true of our archers
who are forced to give up much of the mobility of the medieval archer by our
requirements to wear the heavy combat minimum armor. It would be nice if our
kingdom could have the "light" archers of some of the other kingdoms.

Stefan li Rous       Barony of Bryn Gwlad        Ansteorra
Per pale gules and or, a ram's head caboshed, counterchanged

  Mark S. Harris    markh at risc.sps.mot.com     Austin, TX