Shinai in Ansteorra

Russell Dickerson dickerso at celsvr.STORTEK.COM
Tue Nov 14 11:54:41 PST 1995

>> You've gotten me all wrong. We wear armor, we use marshalls, etc, etc....We
>> have even gone as far as to submit a armor proposal, with strick
>> requirements.

I guess, the question I have is Why?  The SCA was not founded to be the
home of any and all martial arts practiced anywhere.  The charter is
clearly pre-renniasance Europe and cultures with whom they had contact.
Japaneese, American Indian, and Poleneasian (sp?)  do technically fall
within this.  If we allow shinia, then why not a plethora of other martial
arts practiced?  Why not Judo, Kung-Fu?

I'll tell you why.  As the charter says, we are to be a primarily Medieval
European society.  If we start being a forum for any and all martial arts
anywhere, we 1) dilute peoples attention to the point of apathy and 2) make
learning and complying with fighting rules a nightmare.

I already see this happening with the introduction of light weapons.  Now
don't get me wrong.. I don't dislike light weapons.  However, the
re-creation they bring with them is mostly post-perriod.  I see it in the
clothing, attitudes and styles.  There's nothing wrong with someone liking
the Reniassance period, by it seems like that should be another society.
Why should those of us who do not wish to re-enact Reniassance be forced
to do so?  Isn't this the crux of the Dons being Peers debate is about?
The Don doesn't fit the Medieval model and trying to meld the two is what
is causing the friction.

My $.02.

Russell
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Russell Dickerson | StorageTek Customer Emulation Lab | Louisville, CO