Shinai in Ansteorra

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Nov 14 12:33:11 PST 1995

>> Shinai, as it was introduced to me by my then Knight Marshall, is a style of
>> Japanese fencing. Recreates samari fighting done without armor. The way I was
>> taught to fight it, is all out, no holds bared.
>
>I think I see a *possible* problem. That being that it might be a
>insurance nightmare for SCA, Inc.

Apparently atenveldt hasn't found it to be the case.

Out there a "light" fighter is a shinai fighter, it is much more common
than swuishy pokes.

> I imagine that if we had a fighting
>style that didn't have any safety requirements that it would be more
>difficult/expensive to get insurance. Of course I may misunderstand the
>above statements, but I doubt it since I've known other people who have
>done Japanese sword fighting.

There are safety requirements, though they vary a bit over kingdoms, Antir
require gauntlets, gorges, crotch, & elbows I believe.

>As a fighting style, I think it would be great, but that might be
>because of my desire to start doing martial arts of some form again.
>(Mostly for good excercise.)

It is kinda neat, and MUCH! cheaper than heavy weapons, However it is primarily
of use to re-create japanese techniques and there are lots of people in the
soc who don;t want any more japanese than we have,

-Michael