Shinai in Ansteorra

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Nov 14 14:11:33 PST 1995

>>> You've gotten me all wrong. We wear armor, we use marshalls, etc, etc....We
>>> have even gone as far as to submit a armor proposal, with strick
>>> requirements.
>
>I guess, the question I have is Why?  The SCA was not founded to be the
>home of any and all martial arts practiced anywhere.  The charter is
>clearly pre-renniasance Europe and cultures with whom they had contact.
>Japaneese, American Indian, and Poleneasian (sp?)  do technically fall
>within this.  If we allow shinia, then why not a plethora of other martial
>arts practiced?  Why not Judo, Kung-Fu?

Well the problem with judo is that it is out of period. Shaolin Kung-fu
should be acceptable as well as several of the early wu shu styles.

>I'll tell you why.  As the charter says, we are to be a primarily Medieval
>European society.  If we start being a forum for any and all martial arts
>anywhere, we 1) dilute peoples attention to the point of apathy and 2) make
>learning and complying with fighting rules a nightmare.

I think mixing SCA heavy combat and modern adaptations of period fighting
styles would be a very bad idea, too many variables. However I cannot see
why A Martial ART could not be nadled under the Minister of ARTS and
sciences..

>I already see this happening with the introduction of light weapons.  Now
>don't get me wrong.. I don't dislike light weapons.  However, the
>re-creation they bring with them is mostly post-perriod.  I see it in the
>clothing, attitudes and styles.  There's nothing wrong with someone liking
>the Reniassance period, by it seems like that should be another society.
>Why should those of us who do not wish to re-enact Reniassance be forced
>to do so?  Isn't this the crux of the Dons being Peers debate is about?
>The Don doesn't fit the Medieval model and trying to meld the two is what
>is causing the friction.

Hell most of the lunks in spurs we got running around here don't aproximate
a medieval model in clothing, style and especially attitude.

>My $.02.
>
>Russell

-Michael