Shinai in Ansteorra

Randy Shipp rshipp at molly.hsc.unt.edu
Wed Nov 15 06:41:19 PST 1995

It was written

> >I'll tell you why.  As the charter says, we are to be a primarily Medieval
> >European society.  If we start being a forum for any and all martial arts
> >anywhere, we 1) dilute peoples attention to the point of apathy and 2) make
> >learning and complying with fighting rules a nightmare.
>
> I think mixing SCA heavy combat and modern adaptations of period fighting
> styles would be a very bad idea, too many variables. However I cannot see
> why A Martial ART could not be nadled under the Minister of ARTS and
> sciences..

Because it's not a martial art of western Europe during the Middle Ages
and Rennaissance?

> >The Don doesn't fit the Medieval model and trying to meld the two is what
> >is causing the friction.
>
> Hell most of the lunks in spurs we got running around here don't aproximate
> a medieval model in clothing, style and especially attitude.

Something about two wrongs not making a right comes to mind.  One leak in
the hull is not an excuse to start bucketing water into the boat.  Common
sense demands an effort to fix small problems instead of resigning
ourselves to drowning.

In Service,

Antoine D'Aubernoun
mka Randy Shipp