Champion

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Mon Oct 2 11:22:44 PDT 1995

I am sending out this letter to gloat about Bryn Gwlad's baronial
championship. Those of you who missed it really missed out on an event
that was like those "really great events we had in the good old days".

The site was primitive, but it was beautiful set right on lake Travis
with a spectacular view all around us. The days we hot but the lake was
cool and relaxing.

I do not have a count of attendance but it was small, perhaps 150 people,
creating an intimate atmosphere with good friends.

The tournaments were challenging and exciting. The armored combat included
segments with individual fighting as well as melees with the roar of the
drums adding to the excitement. The rapier competition was a great success
as our first attempt to emulate the style of a particular period fencing
master. Giacomo di Grassi (Iolo) was there and was very Italian and quite
outrageous.

We had some great discussions on how to hold a conquered land, the nature
of dueling, the difference between wagering and gambling and the
importance of interaction vs persona in the SCA.

We named Sir Connor and Collin Allenson our champions and Do~ na
Antonia and (sorry -- I can't recall the armored fighter) as our newest
members of the Order of the Halberdeirs. There were many other winners of
particular segments and much good loot and word fame was given to these
fine competitors.

The feast was simple and tasty. The tavern was one of those wonderful
efforts that show the Royal Swan is the finest tavern in Ansteorra. The
bardic groups that sprang up here and there in the camp were funny or
moving or stirring in turns.

The nights were cool with a yellow crescent moon and an amazing number of
stars blazing out over a black sky. By night the camp was lit by torch,
lamp and moon.

How many things have I left out -- the chapel, the Elizabethan soldiers
marching down the road, Sir Penderin's aire of command, HLady Jehan's
grace, Thomas of Tenby's calm words, Cynric's fine art, the two peasants
who wished to duel with sausages, the colorful pavilions, visits from
Shamino, Dupree, Blayne, Sionna, Gala, Sentri and Julianna (though
perhaps as other personas), fine mead, wines and ale, Sir Galen's tales
of King Richard Lionheart, James ap Benyl's stirring songs of battle  -- too
many to remember them all.

If you missed it, I offer you my condolences. Perhaps if you are very
lucky there will be another event like this some day.

>From the Barony of Bryn Gwlad

          Savian