Thoughts on Court Barony

Robert G. Ferrell rferrell at bga.com
Tue Oct 3 07:42:15 PDT 1995

     I'm feeling much more communicative, now that my last event as
Seneschal is safely (and, as I have posted earlier, quite successfully)
under the bridge, so I'll offer a few thoughts on Court Barons and Baronesses.
     Remember that the following is simply the way *I* think of CB.  It
isn't based entirely on historical information, or on SCA dogma.  It is
merely a synthesis I have put together to allow me to function comfortably
with the concept of Court Nobility.
     I used to be rather aggravated by the constant use of the title "Your
Excellency" when addressing a CB.  I didn't (and still don't, to be
truthful) feel that CBs deserve the same form of address as members of the
"Royal Family" or the Landed Nobility.  However, I finally found some
historical precedence for this concept, and so I have amended my philosophy
to accept Noble status under the condition that this status is accorded only
in a court settting.  In other words, since Court Barony literally means
nobility in the Royal Court, I as a Court Baron do not wish to be treated as
a noble *except in court*.  Again, I'm not propounding this as a standard to
be adopted by everyone.  Each person must deal with the titles and ranks
foisted upon them by the SCA in his or her own way.  As far as I can tell,
"Your Excellency" isn't a form of address that would be appropriate for me,
anyway.  I much prefer "My Lord Baron" (I got this from Jan).  Well, really,
I prefer "Cynric," but some people just can't handle it if they can't call
you Baron, Master, or something.  While I am embarrassed to admit it, I do
keep track of my awards and stuff.  I have a place where I have my name
written out, and I add alphabet soup to it whenever appropriate.  Mostly,
it's just for the humorous impact it has on me whenever I walk by and see
it.  At last count, I have 32 letters after my name (a lot of this depends
on what abbreviations you use, of course).  Longevity and at least minimal
long-term involvement has a tendency to do that to you in this hobby.
     Ansteorra has always, as a Kingdom, thought of Court Barony as minor
nobility.  This is partly due to the fact that an early Star Principal
Herald, Anebairn MacPharlaine of Arrochar, was told to give the CBs
something to distinguish them heraldically, apart from the Baronial Coronet.
He chose supporters, which were hitherto reserved for members of the Royal
Family, and this set in concrete the concept that CBs were nobles.  This is
straight from Anebairn's mouth, so if you disagree, argue with him, not me
(I'll consider giving you his phone number, if you really want it).  Each
Kingdom, by the way, sets its own policy for heraldic achievements.  Only a
few heraldic insignia, such as those for Peerage and Ladies of the Rose, are
Society-wide.
     Several years ago, Master Pepin and myself were pushing for former
Landed Barons and Baroness to be one step higher in precedence that simple
Court Baronies, on the grounds that retiring from a landed office is
traditionally accompanied by a status not obtainable otherwise (e.g., Count,
Duke, etc.).  We also wanted the former Landeds to have a different title
(or have Court Barons be "Baronets" or something like that, to distinguish
them).  Nothing ever came of this, so far as I can tell, but that's radical
philosophy for you.
     I'm not trying to pull the rug out from under anyone.  I just had to
work out this thing for myself, and thought it might give someone else
insight into how to rationalize SCA conventions with your own notion of persona.

     Have a splendiferous day,

Cynric