Early Dance

Nan Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 20 10:21:06 PDT 1995

>Ah yes, the "gypsies" (that's an exonym, you know.) are an amazing group of
>people. Did you know there are still laws on the books that were
>specifically designed to harrass them? Anyhow, I have a whol lot of
>information on them as a culture (recipes, examples of laws against them,
>etc.) that I will vouch is accurate, Since it's the same info they give the
>UN, and that I was given by one of their delegates. Anyone interested should
>email me, and I'll dig it all out...:)
>
>ps - the term they use for themselves is "Rom" or "Romani". They don't like
>"Gypsy". :)
>
>Cat

There is a professor, Dr. Ian Hancock, here in the English department who
is an outhority on the Romani culture and the discrimination against them.
He is a founding member of the Romani Anti-Defamation Assn.(?) and makes
regular trips to Eastern Europe.  If anyone is really interested, they
might try to contact him.

Catherine