Alternatives to NMS

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 26 09:56:37 PDT 1995

It was written:
>>How do the East and Middle do this?  No maps.  Minimal wasted space.
>>Small (but readable) fonts. Regular paper stock covers.  Some Kingdoms
>>could save more than others, but every bit helps, yes?

>I'm not sure about this. I'd rather pay more for a quality newsletter
>than have to squint, wonder where I'm going for an event (!), or have it
>be too cluttered. (There is a reason places hire professionals to do
>newsletters.) And yes, I like the card stock for covers, and our local
>Barony newsletter uses it whenever it is not exactly 6 or 12 sheets.

No maps does not mean no directions to the event! Instead of a poorly
drawn map, the East & West kingdoms (& probably others) provide
*written* directions to the event. (Like: Make your best route to
Stillwater, OK. From the west: Highway 51/6th St east to Duck St, turn
right/south onto Duck. From the east: Highway 51/6th west to Duck St,
turn left/south. All: Take Duck to 9th St, turn left/east. The site is
the Stillwater Community Center which is the entire block between Duck &
Duncan, and 8th & 9th.)

While their newsletters won't win any awards for best artwork (which
consists of Warthaven for the most part), they have to include a lot of
information, the *same* information, in each newsletter. Right now the
BS has 4 (or 6?) pages of information that must appear in every
newsletter. These other kingdoms listed had twice the number of groups
that Ansteorra has (and they have principalities & all those officers,
as well to list), and some of them include more info than just the local
seneschal's name & number & the chroniclers'. Like when & where all the
local practices are (fighters', dancers', any A&S meetings, business
meetings, etc). Then after deducting the pages for the officers'
reports, that doesn't leave much space for the event announcements.
There is no intrinsic reason to have a two-page spread announcing what's
going to be happening at your event, with a fancy border & interior
artwork when a well worded paragraph or three can convey the information
necessary. And frequently I know the East Kingdom would have an A&S
article or two included in each newsletter.

>I think so. I'm not sure why I keep getting the stupid description of
>the SCA and what terms mean. After all I'm renewing and not a new
>member. All I need is a form and when it is I need to have it back to
>them.

I agree!!!

Estrill
Mooneschadoweshire