Arts and Sciences Competition

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Wed Oct 25 20:43:04 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of Steve Hendricks  to All]

 SH> After previous discussions about the perceived unfairness of A&S
 SH> competitions, I find this a step in the wrong direction.

Samuel, it is a fact that the Arts & Sciences get short shrift in this
Kingdom.  None of the Kingdom level A&S events have any precedence on the
Kingdom Calendar.  What generally happens is that the KMoAS wrangles a date
out of the Kingdom Seneschal and then begs for some Branch to host the event.
Usually, a host is not found until the last minute, which leaves little time
for planning the event.

 SH> Who is going to win - the musician who performs a subtle but difficult
 SH> piece  unknown to the Crown, or the musician who performs a lively
 SH> but easy dance  piece that Their Highnesses have heard and enjoyed
 SH> previously?  Again, no  disrespect is meant to the Crown - it is
 SH> simply human nature to judge things  outside of one's areas of
 SH> expertise by a simpler set of criteria.

This is true even if you have "knowledgeable" judges, as very few of us, even
among the Laurels, are true experts in any field.

 SH> So please, future A&S autocrats, give a thought to what your ideas on
 SH> the  competition may imply.  Being recognized by the Crown is a great
 SH> honor.  But  being recognized by experts in your field is also a
 SH> great honor.

Assuming you have such experts to hand.  Most A&S competitions in this Kingdom
are open to any item, and the organizers can only use such "experts" as show
up that day and can be cajoled into judging.  If we held more focused
competitons (such as the pentathlons most of the Kingdoms east of us hold), it
would make it easier to ensure experts were available.

At least, by required pre-registration, Master Thomas is giving himself the
opportunity to invite the experts he needs to attend the event.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan (former KMoAS)
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable