Texas Renaissance Festival

Steven L. Holt maxisdgn at krypton.netropolis.net
Sun Sep 24 03:08:20 PDT 1995

INFORMATION FOR SCA PARTICIPANTS

Our main objectives this year:  Educate the public about the Society for
Creative Anachronism. Present ourselves at our very best.  Entertain the
patrons.  Sign up new people to join our Society. AND HAVE FUN.

The Festival is open 7 weekends from September 30 to November 12.  RAIN OR
SHINE.  The Festival begins at 9:00 a.m. each Saturday and Sunday and closes
at Dusk.

If you or your group plan on selling any items at the Festival, please send
me a picture of the item/items (or samples) so that we may get them approved
by the TRF Jury.  These items should be handmade and of high quality.  The
following items have already been approved:  woven belts (inkle and card
woven), scrolls, fibulas and handmade baskets.  You must have approval
before selling.  A percentage of all net profits will be donated to the
SCA/TRF account.  You will need to bring any table(s) and chair(s) that you
might need to display your items.

Sign-in each morning at the SCA Compound with that weekend's Autocrat.  At
that time, you may choose the area you would like to participate in and what
time you will be available.  If you are uncertain as to what area you would
like to participate in--please bring things you can demo (i.e. looms and
yarn for belts, chainmail, basket-making materials, charter painting
materials, calligraphy pens, musical instruments, etc.).  You will need to
bring any table(s) and chair(s) that you might need to perform your demo.

Two hours of participation are required each day for free admission.

Use the "Participant's Entrance".  This entrance is approx. 1/2 mile south
of  the main gate.  If a blue parking pass is enclosed, please display this
pass on your rear-view mirror while you are on site.

If you plan on sleeping in the 'Compound Dormitories', you must have a pass
from us.  There is very limited space in the buildings and this way you will
know in advance if you need to camp.

There is plenty of space for camping (we will be camping in our usual spot).
Look for the SCA signs and roped off area at our camping site.  At this
time, we are planning on having security for the camping area.  However,
please secure your values in a safe place.  Camping is permitted Friday
through Monday mornings.

Coleman style lanterns and stoves are acceptable.  Fires are prohibited:  no
candles, charcoal fires, bar-b-que pits or oil lanterns.  Garbage must be
bagged, tied and deposited at the Festival Dumpsters.

NO pets anytime, ever.

Minors must have signed parental waivers (if their parents are not present
at the Festival).

Quiet curfew is 11 PM.  Please try and keep the noise down after this time.

Ice will be provided in the compound.  Please bring your own drinks and
lunch items if you do not wish to purchase from the TRF Vendors.  Remember,
Saturday evening a meal will be served in the compound for a very small fee.

Feast gear will not be required for the meal in the compound Saturday
evening.  We will be providing paper products to make clean-up simple.

Pay phones are located at the entry gate to the Festival grounds and at all
privies.

There are flush toilets and hot showers for all participants use.

Please wear your best garb.  Fighters, we request that you do not wear
jeans, brightly colored modern shoes (and this goes for everyone else), or
blatantly modern armor (A tabard will cover a multitude of sins!).  All
attendees:  TRF requires that "head coverings" be worn, if you have "period
hair" you MAY be exempt from this requirement.  We not only want to have
fun, but we would like to encourage people to join our Society.  TRF policy
states that Neon colors, tie-dye or bright prints are inappropriate, as is
Spandex.  Ultra modern hairstyles or hair dyed unnatural colors are not
permitted and must be completely covered.  No watches in view of patrons and
no sunglasses.

TRF would like for us to totally fit into the festival theme, mood, spirit
and atmosphere; therefore, We have enclosed the Scenario for 1995 Festival.
Feel free to play along anytime, have your picture taken with patrons if
they request it, and talk with the patrons during the day if you so chose.

Enclosed is a hand-out for 'Speaking the Part'.  It would be wonderful if we
could all try using these helpful tips for our speech throughout the
Festival and into our own events.

We have been asked to participate in the Grand Parade at noon each day.
Please let me know each morning if you are interested.  If we have more
volunteers than necessary--we may choose the best costumes.

The Hospitaler from your group is in charge of the Information Booth on your
weekend.  They should have received information from the Kingdom
Hospitaler--Michael de la Mare.  His office has volunteered to supply the
information sheets and handle the names of interested patrons.

SCA/TRF Committee will provide trash bags, ice, paper towels.

You need to park near the SCA camping area (which is near the water towers
behind the Archery Booth).  If you have any questions, please find someone
who has attended the Festival in past years--they will be able to tell you
where to park and how to enter the site through the hidden gates.

Fo (Forrest Hedrick   Phone: 713-868-5316    Address: 718 Link Rd., Houston
77009) has volunteered to head our Security team for all 7 weekends.  If you
have questions or volunteers for this area, please call him before 10:00 p.m.

SCA membership is not required this year.  Please pass the word.  We would
like as many SCA people as possible to participate.

Seneschals or Autocrats--please fill out attached sign-up sheets for each
weekend and mail to Deborah for passes.  Please mail all requests at least
two weeks before date of attendance, We need enough lead time to mail the
passes back to you.  Please enclose a SASE (Size 10 or larger envelope).

If you have individuals who do not know until the last minute if they can
attend, then they can pay $10 to the Sheriff at the Participants Entrance,
come into the SCA compound and get a pass from me, return to the Sheriff and
receive a refund of the $10.

Autocrats--you need to have a Feastocrat for Saturday evening.  We will have
a meal after the Festival closes for the day.  The meal should be simple and
inexpensive (something on the order of soup, stew, spaghetti, chili, served
with bread and butter, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.).  The cost should be no
more than $3.00 per person and all SCA individuals are encouraged to
purchase feast. (The cost of the feast to each person will be the exact cost
of the supplies--no one is to make a profit on the feast--this is for the
benefit of our people--not to make money).  If your group wishes to provide
your feast for no cost to the participants, that would be wonderful
(however, We realize not all groups can afford to do this).  Cost of feast
needs to include a beverage, plastic utensils, paper plates or bowls
(whatever your feast requires), paper towels, etc.  Feast will be served in
the compound and every SCA person who has participated is invited to join us
for the meal and/or revelry.  The Autocrat or Feastocrat can call me for an
idea of the number of passes given for their weekend--this might help in
determining how many people to cook for.  Coleman stoves and lanterns are
allowed in the compound.

We are arranging for ice to be available on site.  If there is a problem
with this, We will let you know.

The following is a list of the groups and autocrats who are sponsoring the
different weekends:

Weekend		Dates		Group		Autocrat		Phone #
1st Weekend	9-30 to 10-1	Stargate	Hillary Greenslade	713-785-4832
2nd Weekend	Oct. 7-8	Raven's Fort	Kief av Kiersted	409-291-3449
3rd Weekend	Oct. 14-15	OPEN
4th Weekend	Oct. 21-22	Gate's Edge	Ettienne DuBois	        713-956-0046
5th Weekend	Oct. 28-29	Dun Brodail	Ceara Murphy		713-952-9884
				Twr Cath	Kerry de Guise		713-748-5521
6th Weekend	Nov. 4-5	Loch Soilleir	Alexis la Bouche	713-996-7469
7th Weekend	Nov. 11-12	Shadowlands	Megan			409-567-4916

If you have any questions you may contact the SCA/TRF Liaisons:

Lady Deborah von Falkenhorst		Lord Stefan von Drachenfels
(Debbie Mostert)			(Steven L. Holt)
2807 Cane Field Drive			5322 Randon Road
Sugar Land, Texas 77479-1427		Houston, Texas 77091-5014
713.980.4596				713.956.2701
					713.688.4258 fax
					maxisdgn at netropolis.net