garb question

Maureen Martinez Maureen_Martinez at ccmail.us.dell.com
Mon Apr 22 15:55:28 PDT 1996

     Mergriet,

     The most common fabrics used during this time were linen, wool, and silk;
     with silk being the most costly.

     Since none of these has alot of stretch (found in some modern fabrics),
     make sure you cut the pattern pieces so that you make the most of the
     stretch you do get.  Most fabrics have more stretch in the weft (across the
     fabric) than in the warp (along the length of the fabric).  The warp
     threads are set up on the loom first (hence the term "warping the loom),
     and are tightened by the mechanism of the loom itself.  The tightness of
     the weft is maintained by the weaver, and can be loose, or tight depending
     on the type and quality of fabric.

     For tights, I would assume that you want stretch around the leg rather than
     in the length.  I have also heard of cutting on the diagonal to get stretch
     in both directions, but have no experience in this.

     Best of luck!

     Jenny Winslow
     MKA Maureen Martinez