Should Ansteorra have a WWW Page?

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Sun Aug 4 12:43:00 PDT 1996

Subj:	RE: Should Ansteorra have a WWW Page?

From: Galen of Bristol <ptm2792 at utarlg.uta.edu>

>Ah... but Kief -

Hmmmmmmm...Howdy Galen! Kief again...

>On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 stddly at SHSU.edu wrote:

>> Hey Galen, my Brother! Kief here... I don't fear the rules being know
>>without paying for them, indeed not!

>You weren't the one who made that argument.

True, just being clear that I don't fear the free flow of information.

>>I am concerned on getting the actual rules in print, on-line, where ever... And the actual si[Cghed up dates to those rules. As
>>a former Kingdom officer, I agree to let my name, adress, and phone # be
>>posted in a _limited_ environment. It is _not_ for publication on the 'net.

>Y'know, as a UTA student, I authorized them to publish my name, address
>and phone number in a phone book and then they put their whole directory on
>the internet.

True, my phone number is published in a national phone directory on the 'net
however, it (and your name/number) are published as a group listing of the
class, "general listing of names/numbers of xxxxxx group" mine being Huntsville
Texas, (yours being UTA students) not quite the same as "member of the SCA".
That kind of listing, without permission, is intrusive.

>> Nor do I wish for my photo to be publish, specially any closeups, without
>> my express permission.

>Fair enough.  How about melee shots or even tourney shots with you in armor?

I have no problem at all with melee/tourney shots in armor. I have no real
problem with close-ups, as long as I can see them to give permission. I do
have a reason for this, I will explain it to you privately next time we see
each other.)

>>I like the idea of Ansteorra having a home page!!

>Sure, it's a nice idea, but how workable is it?

I don't have my own home page, but I think it's workable, and useful!

>>With as much information as we can get on there! But _general_ information.

>Nothing can beat www.sca.org for _general_ information.  Specific
>information is what I think a kingdom or local page should provide.

I agree, I meant, in the context of the subject, general information about
our Kingdom, it's history, etc.

>>With contact numbers of folk that agree to have their lives possibily
>>interrupted at 3:30 a.m. by crank calls.

>Am I mistaken, or are you proposing we have people whose job it is to
>place themselves in danger?  Didn't you and your lady argue that it is
>unsafe to be listed on the internet?  If I accept that premise, I can't
>ask someone to volunteer for such a position.

Yes. As "public figures" (in officer mode) we have our personal information
published in a _limited_ media format> This is "dangerous". Witness the crank
calls/letters/"little presents" some of our past Crowns have received and
continue to receive. Kingdom/Regional/Local officers also. It _is_ unsafe if
you are not aware of the danger. A crazy with a wide database is more dangerous
than one with but a few bits of information. Of course this is an extreme
viewpoint, but that's what I'm driving at. We need a policy on what our folk
will and will not permit on the 'net. Kinda like my wanting to review any close
up photos of myself.

And, yes, you can ask folk to volunteer to give out their personal information.
As long as they give "informed consent". Event announcements (sans maps and
directions) but with contact numbers, A list of Hospitalers that are willing
to provide answers to the questions they get from the 'net. And I don't mean
just one or two folk. We need as many as we can get. (I used Hospitalers as
an example, not as a duty of the office.)

>> Post photos, have a ton of links, put the rules and Handbooks on-line, just

>Photos of whom?  You don't want your picture up there.  Links to stuff
>about the middle ages?  Those are on www.sca.org.  Rules & handbooks?
>Won't people say we're violent satanists, subversives teaching martial
>arts to kids?

Photos of general activities, a lot of folk will be quite happy to have their
photo "on the 'net". Sure, a few links to the other Kingdom and Society pages.
Links to other good pages about Anstoerra and local groups. Hell, links to
anywhere you wish.

As to being called Satanists...we're already being called that. Many places
around this country. Violent? Yep...you got it. Teaching little children
martial arts? Hmmmmmm.....maybeso, I should open a do-jo. *big grin*

>> make sure that all the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted before doing so.

>I haven't posted any rules; I just provided a link to someone who -- to
>my gratitude -- has done so.

You know, the Kingdom should have looked into the reality of an "official" page
long ago.

>> Hell, Brother, I want a ton of people to join our Society. We need them.

>How can you tell people about the SCA and not give directions to
>meetings, numbers to contact, etc.?  If only a couple of people are
>listed, they won't keep up with the number of questioners.  Many numbers
>all over spreads out the burden, and I still get complaints from people
>who feel they didn't get fast enough responses to e-mail and answering
>machine messages.

>Do we need new people enough to risk that evil people and
>well-intentioned fools (read:  cult awareness "experts") will learn of
>our society?

As my Lady Lorraine has stated, fighter practices, populace meetings, and other
general public meetings such as demos are OK for publication. They, the public
stuff, are meant to be a meeting ground for the interested. Events are not,
usually, a controlled environment for a lot of "public" contact. Publish the
basic information, but no maps or directions. A blurb such as "For more info
and directions please contact XXXXXX @ XXXXXXX" Call the Autocrat of the event
first to see if it's OK to publish their number on the 'net.

As I mentioned before, we need many folk that volunteer to answer questions
and such from the 'net. Any takers out there?!?

As to evil people and well intentioned fools... We have plenty already, why
do we want to attract more? Let's be a tad more cautious in the wide-spread
distribution of specfic information.

>>You, and others,
>> are doing an excellent job of distributing information and generating
>> interest.

>Am I?  Thanks for saying so.  That's not the impression I've gotten lately.
>Unless you're talking about Badon & Artorius, and I certainly never
>meant to generate all _that_ interest.  (Joke! that's a joke!)

Ya, I know a good bit about that one...I'm still chewing on my last foot...
ROFLMAO....

>> Keep up the good work... Just be cautious...

>Which brings me to the purpose of this thread:  Does caution require that
>I reduce the page to the point where it's not worth the file space it
>takes up here at UTA?  From what I've heard, it may.

Nope, it doesn't have to mean you have a sterile page, it can be as rich as you
wish it to be. Just take care of others as you would your loved ones...

>> Kief
>>
>> "Maleus Potius Clavo..."
>>

>"Beware of superficial profundity..."

I, my Brother, am aware of such... My motto is a hard won, long considered,
part of myself. As is yours...

>- Galen

>Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
>ptm2792 at utarlg.uta.edu -- for a good time, call:
>http://www.uta.edu/student_orgs/CSA/officers/paul/
>             "noblesse oblige"

In Respect and Comradeship, I remain...