Web, Internet, Rules and Information...

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 5 13:39:44 PDT 1996

> >  First off. Information in this group is supposed to be free.
>   It is?Did you get that from the Bylaws, Corporea or Kingdom Law?

Well if I can't get the information, you can't expect me to follow the
rules and guidelines.

> >  Third, officers have to *expect* their name, number and address to be
> >  given out to *anyone* in the world who requests it.
> Whoa! As an officer I expect that my name and number be given out to
> anyone who requests it in respect to the SCA not for *any* reason.

And I am to distinguish their motives how? We have to assume the best of
intentions until proven otherwise. (It is still America right? *wink*)

> >This is part of
> >  being an officer. If you can't deal with this, there are several
> >  things you/your Kingdom/Barony/Shire/Canton/etc can do. Get a PO box.
> >  Get PhoneNotes or whatever it's called. Get an unlisted number that
> >  just has an answering machine. Get caller-id and let the answering
> >  machine get it. Get a life and deal with the fact that you *volunteered*
> >  for this position. Failing all of the above, you can *quit* at any time
> >  since you aren't required to hold the office.
> You shouldn't have to quit serving your group just because you do not
> want your information on the net.

I unfortunately left something out. My suggestion to those people who
want to serve their group, but fail all of the above, is to be a Deputy
officer. This allows to serve your group but doesn't put you in the high
visibility position of being an officer.

(I shouldn't think at night and write early in the morning.)

> Also, I don't know where you have played other than Bryn Gwlad
> but in some cases people put their names in the hat for an office
> because there is no choice but to otherwise see their group fold.

Been there. Done that. Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore. *smile*

> > Particularly, the
> >  King/Queen, Baron/Baroness, *all* Kingdom Officers, Seneschal,
> >  Hospitaler and Chroniclers will have their name and number given out.
> >  If not noticed, I did *not* give "Avoid having your name and number
> >  printed." as an option. This is on purpose. People *must* be able to
> >  contact you. And by all means, make this a known fact for all
> >  applicants for a position.
> The Kingdom requires these for you to be an one of such and that info
> except for hospitialer is printed in the KINGDOM NEWSLETTER

I never understood why the hospitaler isn't. It makes a helluvalot of
sense since they are supposed to be a first point of contact for people
new to the group/region.

> >  Sixth, our events are still mostly public. Why not tell people how to
> >  get to them? You don't have to be a member to go to events. (Matter of
> >  fact, wasn't there a stink raised due being charged $3 extra if you
> >  weren't? Musta been a lot of people who weren't members if that got
> >  repealed. *wink*)
> I don't have a problem with maps printed in newsletters or of
> course the Black Star. Are our events really public???

Do we deny anyone access until they have a history? If not, then yes
they are. Heck, we've been trying to encourage our Barony to be nice to
"mundanes" and try to encourage them to play with us. Stagnation is a
bad thing.

> Are we there
> to entertain/educate/be freak show to the world???

Yes, assuming they are willing to play by our rules.

> Do you think we
> should encourage (an unknowable number) of mundanes to visit our
> events?

Yes. How else do we get new people? *smile*

> How many do we wish to deal with?

As many as we can. I think they should play by our rules of course.
Wear the loaner garb and the like.

> Personally it got to
> be a little much at Coronation with the 20 or so mundane gawkers( though
> we had them way outnumbered).

I'm sorry I missed it. *sigh*

> >  Seventh, if someone is opening their *house* for an event of any sort,
> >  they should know in advance it will be announced to everyone in the
> >  world.
> I tell people who hold events that if it is a group function you have
> to be prepared for the possibility that *anyone* in the group may show
> up as well as interested newcomers. If they can't live with that
> possibility then they shouldn't sponsor a group function.

Sounds reasonable.

> >I know as just a regional chronicler
> ?Southern?

My mistake. I meant smaller region than that. I kept getting confused
while writing the message on what to put for the local group. *sigh*

> >  Nineth, if you do a local phone book, ask them if they want their
> >  information made available to the public/net. It's just one more data
> >  item. (*grumbles about this*)
> why grumbles?

Lots of confusion between people gathering data, people answering the
question, and a way to conviently grab the the ones who want it
published out.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"