Web, Internet, Rules and Information...

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Mon Aug 5 13:29:17 PDT 1996

From:	MX%"ansteorra at eden.com"  5-AUG-1996 09:01:19.29
To:	MX%"ansteorra at eden.com"
CC:
Subj:	Web, Internet, Rules and Information...

>  First off. Information in this group is supposed to be free.

  It is?Did you get that from the Bylaws, Corporea or Kingdom Law?

<deleted>

>  -  Yes, I am willing to maintain this information *if* I can get the
>  -  Kingdom officers responsible to send the information to me in a
>  -  format I can manipulate easily. Guess I'd have to learn HTML then.
>  -  *sigh* *wink*

Terrific! At least then they would know that the information was on the
 'net and it would be a great resource.

>  Secondly, I would like to thank Earl Kein MacEwan for a lovely
>  statement on fear, rationality and bravery. I am quite positive I
>  couldn't have said it better. I had wanted to before I went into the
>  following points though.

I agree.

>  Third, officers have to *expect* their name, number and address to be
>  given out to *anyone* in the world who requests it.

Whoa! As an officer I expect that my name and number be given out to
anyone who requests it in respect to the SCA not for *any* reason.

>This is part of
>  being an officer. If you can't deal with this, there are several
>  things you/your Kingdom/Barony/Shire/Canton/etc can do. Get a PO box.
>  Get PhoneNotes or whatever it's called. Get an unlisted number that
>  just has an answering machine. Get caller-id and let the answering
>  machine get it. Get a life and deal with the fact that you *volunteered*
>  for this position. Failing all of the above, you can *quit* at any time
>  since you aren't required to hold the office.

You shouldn't have to quit serving your group just because you do not
want your information on the net.

Also, I don't know where you have played other than Bryn Gwlad
but in some cases people put their names in the hat for an office
because there is no choice but to otherwise see their group fold.

> Particularly, the
>  King/Queen, Baron/Baroness, *all* Kingdom Officers, Seneschal,
>  Hospitaler and Chroniclers will have their name and number given out.
>  If not noticed, I did *not* give "Avoid having your name and number
>  printed." as an option. This is on purpose. People *must* be able to
>  contact you. And by all means, make this a known fact for all
>  applicants for a position.

The Kingdom requires these for you to be an one of such and that info
except for hospitialer is printed in the KINGDOM NEWSLETTER

>  Fourth, guild organizers should expect to be treated as officers as
>  far as name and numbers are concerned. They have volunteered to be a
>  public figure and be a point of contact for others that might be
>  interested in their particular specialty.

I agree

>  Fifth, start printing emails with the other contact information for
>  everyone you can. This should be the recommended method of
>  communication if you got information from the net.

I agree

<deleted>

>  Sixth, our events are still mostly public. Why not tell people how to
>  get to them? You don't have to be a member to go to events. (Matter of
>  fact, wasn't there a stink raised due being charged $3 extra if you
>  weren't? Musta been a lot of people who weren't members if that got
>  repealed. *wink*)

I don't have a problem with maps printed in newsletters or of
course the Black Star. Are our events really public??? Are we there
to entertain/educate/be freak show to the world??? Do you think we
should encourage (an unknowable number) of mundanes to visit our
events? How many do we wish to deal with? Personally it got to
be a little much at Coronation with the 20 or so mundane gawkers( though
we had them way outnumbered).

>  Seventh, if someone is opening their *house* for an event of any sort,
>  they should know in advance it will be announced to everyone in the
>  world.

I tell people who hold events that if it is a group function you have
to be prepared for the possibility that *anyone* in the group may show
up as well as interested newcomers. If they can't live with that
possibility then they shouldn't sponsor a group function.

>I know as just a regional chronicler

?Southern?

<deleted>

>  Eight, assume anything printed in a newsletter is now available to the
>  public.

>If you want to only announce something at your local populace
>  meeting, you can be fairly sure that only the people you want will know
>  about it. But don't be upset if everyone doesn't get the information.
>  Handing out fliers won't guarantee that someone doesn't get a hold of
>  it. (I can play the paranoia game as well. *wink*) This is part of the
>  previous point but a more generic problem.
>
>  Nineth, if you do a local phone book, ask them if they want their
>  information made available to the public/net. It's just one more data
>  item. (*grumbles about this*)

why grumbles?

Lorraine