Web, Internet, Rules and Information...

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 5 06:58:34 PDT 1996

Good Morning,

  This is probably going to be a long tirade so please bear with me.

  First off. Information in this group is supposed to be free. Paper
  does cost money, so the benefit of getting a paper copy costs us. We
  aren't supposed to be charged to get the information, just for the
  cost of getting it to us in a media that we can deal with. *If*
  someone is willing to provide this on *their* computer/account for
  free of charge, more power too them. (As long as it's *current* and
  *correct*.) If someone is willing to maintain this database for the
  Kingdom, I think they should be encouraged as much as needed. This is
  a volunteer organization and our time is free and should be freely
  given! (I also don't care to hear that it cost for people to get
  on-line so it still isn't free BS. I've heard arguments like this for
  right around 12 years and they hold no water.)

  -  Yes, I am willing to maintain this information *if* I can get the
  -  Kingdom officers responsible to send the information to me in a
  -  format I can manipulate easily. Guess I'd have to learn HTML then.
  -  *sigh* *wink*

  Secondly, I would like to thank Earl Kein MacEwan for a lovely
  statement on fear, rationality and bravery. I am quite positive I
  couldn't have said it better. I had wanted to before I went into the
  following points though.

  Third, officers have to *expect* their name, number and address to be
  given out to *anyone* in the world who requests it. This is part of
  being an officer. If you can't deal with this, there are several
  things you/your Kingdom/Barony/Shire/Canton/etc can do. Get a PO box.
  Get PhoneNotes or whatever it's called. Get an unlisted number that
  just has an answering machine. Get caller-id and let the answering
  machine get it. Get a life and deal with the fact that you *volunteered*
  for this position. Failing all of the above, you can *quit* at any time
  since you aren't required to hold the office. Particularly, the
  King/Queen, Baron/Baroness, *all* Kingdom Officers, Seneschal,
  Hospitaler and Chroniclers will have their name and number given out.
  If not noticed, I did *not* give "Avoid having your name and number
  printed." as an option. This is on purpose. People *must* be able to
  contact you. And by all means, make this a known fact for all
  applicants for a position.

  Fourth, guild organizers should expect to be treated as officers as
  far as name and numbers are concerned. They have volunteered to be a
  public figure and be a point of contact for others that might be
  interested in their particular specialty.

  Fifth, start printing emails with the other contact information for
  everyone you can. This should be the recommended method of
  communication if you got information from the net. Unfortunately you
  may be going somewhere and wish to call when you get there so this
  isn't always possible. (Hell, I prefer email over most other forms
  since I'll usually get it quicker and respond more reliably.)

  Sixth, our events are still mostly public. Why not tell people how to
  get to them? You don't have to be a member to go to events. (Matter of
  fact, wasn't there a stink raised due being charged $3 extra if you
  weren't? Musta been a lot of people who weren't members if that got
  repealed. *wink*)

  Seventh, if someone is opening their *house* for an event of any sort,
  they should know in advance it will be announced to everyone in the
  world. I know as just a regional chronicler that I don't check, nor
  even know, everyone who requests a complimentary copy or subscription.

  Eight, assume anything printed in a newsletter is now available to the
  public. If you want to only announce something at your local populace
  meeting, you can be fairly sure that only the people you want will know
  about it. But don't be upset if everyone doesn't get the information.
  Handing out fliers won't guarantee that someone doesn't get a hold of
  it. (I can play the paranoia game as well. *wink*) This is part of the
  previous point but a more generic problem.

  Nineth, if you do a local phone book, ask them if they want their
  information made available to the public/net. It's just one more data
  item. (*grumbles about this*)

  I'm sorry for numbering them all, but I thought I'd make sure to
  divide things up cleanly. As well, I'm sorry I haven't responded to
  individual messages, but I didn't have the time for that. *wink*
  I thought a group message like this would probably make things a
  little more concise anyway. I may be short in replying to comments due
  to work, but I will as quickly as possible. (As well, I sent this to
  Ansteorra and not Bryn-Gwlad although some of the conversation has
  taken place there.)

In service,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"