SCA near Rice University?

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Thu Aug 8 04:12:08 PDT 1996

>Fionnghal,
>
>        One place on campus at Rice where SCAers occationally hang out is
>the campus pub.  On Fridays it's kind of cool.  A lot of hip Phds. and
>fried-brain students hang out on the lawn pitching frisbies and discussing
>nuclear fission. Friday is when they clean the taps, I guess, because they
>usually feature a new beer every week.
>
>        Valhalla is what they call it (where souls of fried-brain academics
>gather following defeat in battle, is the logic, I think).  They have an
>Ardvark skeleton behind the bar, a bar-tender from the 60's, and a mural
>that somehow incorporates human anatomy, coefficients, and the elemental
>tables.  Best of all, it's in the basement of the Chapel.
>
>D.st.D., Raven's Fort

Unless they've changed things significantly since I was there (which is
possible, that *was* nearly 20 years ago) "Valhalla" is the graduate student
bar, under the stairs of of the Chemistry Lecture Hall. "Willy's Pub" is for
the general populace, and is located in the basement of the student center,
near (but not actually under) the chapel.

     -Tivar Moondragon
         (Baker '77)