SCA near Rice University?

Vicki Marsh zarazena at io.com
Thu Aug 8 07:13:44 PDT 1996

        Valhalla is what they call it (where souls of fried-brain academics
>>gather following defeat in battle, is the logic, I think).
>>
>>D.st.D., Raven's Fort
>
>Unless they've changed things significantly since I was there (which is
>possible, that *was* nearly 20 years ago) "Valhalla" is the graduate student
>bar, under the stairs of of the Chemistry Lecture Hall. "Willy's Pub" is for
>the general populace, and is located in the basement of the student center,
>near (but not actually under) the chapel.
>
>     -Tivar Moondragon
>         (Baker '77)

Funny how things go full circle.  There was a group of SCA'ers who
originated at Rice about that time.  As I recall, it included Tivar,
Vargskol, & Robin of Gilwell.

It would be an interesting SCA anthropological question to see who started
with what core group and where.  I know there are others, such as the TAMU
group that included Cadfen, Godfrey de la Fosse(now active in Atlantia), and
a later group that included Cynric.

Bryn Gwlad had a core group that started out in Bjornsborg, then really
solidified and grew after a SpringFaire that was held in 1979.  Iolo, Gweno,
Ricardo, Aislinn of Lion's Lair, Eldric, and others whose names escape me
right now joined about that time.

Steppes had a group of High School kids, including Edwin, Kaylitha, and
Joysianne, that ended up in Bryn Gwlad for college - many of whom have since
returned to Steppes.

I know there are other groups scattered around the Kingdom that have a
definable starting point, and probably a charismatic leader, a household
affiliation, or a gaming group.

What I would like to know, is what was it about these origins that these
people have in common?  Is it only a statisical percentage of the total
groups that stayed active at such a high level? Or was there something else?

Inquiring minds want to know. Those of you who are active (and not on your
way to Pennsic already), I would love to hear from you what inspired you and
has kept you in.

Zahra Zena