Should Ansteorra have a WWW Page?

Galen of Bristol ptm2792 at utarlg.uta.edu
Fri Aug 2 15:08:50 PDT 1996

Ah... but Kief -

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 stddly at SHSU.edu wrote:

> Hey Galen, my Brother! Kief here... I don't fear the rules being know
without paaying
> for them, indeed not!

You weren't the one who made that argument.

I am concerned on getting the actual rules in print, on
> line, where ever... And the actual si[Cghed up dates to those rules. As
a former
> Kingdom officer, I agree to let my name, adress, and phone # be posted in a
> _limited_ environment. It is _not_ for publication on the 'net. Nor do I wish

Y'know, as a UTA student, I authorized them to publish my name, address
and phone number in a phone book and then they put their whole directory on
the internet.

> for my photo to be publish, specially any closeups, without my express permission.

Fair enough.  How about melee shots or even tourney shots with you in armor?

> I like the idea of Ansteorra having a home page!!

Sure, it's a nice idea, but how workable is it?

With as much information as
> we can get on there! But _general_ information.

Nothing can beat www.sca.org for _general_ information.  Specific
information is what I think a kingdom or local page should provide.

With contact numbers of folk
> that agree to have their lives possibily interrupted at 3:30 a.m. by
crank calls.

Am I mistaken, or are you proposing we have people whose job it is to
place themselves in danger?  Didn't you and your lady argue that it is
unsafe to be listed on the internet?  If I accept that premise, I can't
ask someone to volunteer for such a position.

> Post photos, have a ton of links, put the rules and Handbooks on-line, just

Photos of whom?  You don't want your picture up there.  Links to stuff
about the middle ages?  Those are on www.sca.org.  Rules & handbooks?
Won't people say we're violent satanists, subversives teaching martial
arts to kids?

> make sure that all the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted before doing so.

I haven't posted any rules; I just provided a link to someone who -- to
my gratitude -- has done so.

> Hell, Brother, I want a ton of people to join our Society. We need them.

How can you tell people about the SCA and not give directions to
meetings, numbers to contact, etc.?  If only a couple of people are
listed, they won't keep up with the number of questioners.  Many numbers
all over spreads out the burden, and I still get complaints from people
who feel they didn't get fast enough responses to e-mail and answering
machine messages.

Do we need new people enough to risk that evil people and
well-intentioned fools (read:  cult awareness "experts") will learn of
our society?

You, and others,
> are doing an excellent job of distributing information and generating
> interest.

Am I?  Thanks for saying so.  That's not the impression I've gotten lately.
Unless you're talking about Badon & Artorius, and I certainly never
meant to generate all _that_ interest.  (Joke! that's a joke!)

> Keep up the good work... Just be cautious...

Which brings me to the purpose of this thread:  Does caution require that
I reduce the page to the point where it's not worth the file space it
takes up here at UTA?  From what I've heard, it may.

> Kief
>
> "Maleus Potius Clavo..."

"Beware of superficial profundity..."

- Galen

Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
ptm2792 at utarlg.uta.edu -- for a good time, call:
http://www.uta.edu/student_orgs/CSA/officers/paul/
             "noblesse oblige"