FOI vs SCA Privacy

Chris Walden cmwalden at eden.com
Wed Aug 14 14:41:02 PDT 1996

> Matthew Penn
> Director, MidNet, matt at dasher.csd.sc.edu
[...]
> On July 23 we received a Freedom of Information Act Request
> for "the complete database of information on users compiled under
> MidNet's operations."
[...]
>I also need
> discussion on how we can prevent this in the future, other than
> eliminating support from the university which, at this point, is
> vital.  Please commiserate or tell me why I am wrong!

I certainly feel for this guy's situation.  We seem to have more and
more situations where we are compelled to do this sort of thing.  I
must admit that this is a very creative use on the part of the
business, although inappropriate.

I know that when one requests info from the military that they are
obliged to black out the classified information.  Perhaps something
like that could be done in these cases.  Can I fequest that personal
info such as address, phone and email address be withheld as private
and classified?  Then we could reward such people with financial
reports and other public info with all of the private stuff gleefully
struck out with giant marks-alot!

It depends on how the law reads and what the popular interpretation.
I suspect that private individuals are not permitted to have
"classified information."  *sigh*

Antoine
alden's