[SCA-CHR] ASCAP Backs Down! (fwd)

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Fri Aug 30 09:33:00 PDT 1996

>> ...My guess is that the SCA campfires are safe too, except for errant
>> marshmallows and similar editorializations.
> Just as a technical point, not having ever been a Scout, do Scouts pay
> a "site fee" as a regular point of camping?  If so, then, yes, it is
> likely that the Society would have no trouble.  If not, then it might
> be argued that the SCA, even as a "Non-profit" organization, was charging
> for each event, and therefore might be subject to some sort of copyright
> infringement (but I *do* think someone would have to be pretty fussy to
> pursue it).

Yes, most Scout events at the permanent camps, or other multi-unit
gatherings such as camporees,  involve a fee of some type. In these current
times, usually cash.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker  (Eagle Scout, BSA)       mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!