The Walking Dead, Part 1

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Aug 30 12:30:06 PDT 1996

>Most excellent research! I've read several of the accounts of "the Walking
>Dead" in the sagas... An interesting thought is did the tales of undead
>originate in the Scandinavian lands, and were they the basis of later tales?
>
>Food for thought...
>
>Kief...
>
>"Better the Hammer than the nail..."

Heilsa, Kief!

        Since other Germanic people hasve very similar tales, the origins of
the belief are certainly Germanic or even Proto-Germanic.  However, The
Greeks and Romans had some traditions that are not dissimilar, so maybe the
earliest layers of the undead tradition are actually Indo-European.  This
would make a great doctoral dissertation for someone.

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva