Mead Brewing?

PHYLLIS SPURR PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Tue Dec 3 09:42:46 PST 1996

> From:           "Larkin O'Kane" <larkin at apache.webstar.net>
> Date sent:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:13:53 +0000

> Can anyone tell me how to stop the fermentation process when the
> mead
> reaches the desired alcohol/sweetness point? I relise that keeping it
> in the refrigerator will do the trick but it only holds so much.
> Someone suggested heating the bottles of mead but I don't know what
> temperature is sufficient and how long to keep the bottles at that
> temperature.

Refrigeration doesn't really stop the fermentation process.  It
causes the yeast to go dormant.  Once the mead is removed from the
refrigerator and the yeast warms, it will once again begin working.

I personally do not know how to stop the process once it has begun.
I would think that premature or artificial halting of the process
would leave a yeasty smell and taste to the end product.

I would suggest investing in a hydrometer to gauge the amount of
alcohol/sweetness you wish to achieve.  Hydrometers are not too
expensive.  I believe mine was around $8.00. Measurement of your must
is to be done prior to the addition of yeast.

Eowyn ferch Rhys
mka Phyllis Spurr