Mead Brewing?

Damaris of Greenhill damaris at geocities.com
Tue Dec 3 14:24:46 PST 1996

Larkin O'Kane wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to stop the fermentation process when the mead
> reaches the desired alcohol/sweetness point? I relise that keeping it
> in the refrigerator will do the trick but it only holds so much.
> Someone suggested heating the bottles of mead but I don't know what
> temperature is sufficient and how long to keep the bottles at that
> temperature.
>
> Help anyone?

One thing you can do, is to keep adding sugar syrup.  Eventually the
alcohol content will get high enough to kill any yeast.  That's not too
good if you have achieved the level of alcohol/sweetness that you want.

Brewing supply stores sell "yeast stabilizer" which kills the yeast
supposedly.  I haven't had much luck with it unless I use it in
conjunction with camden tablets.  If sulfites don't bother you then you
can use camden alone about 1-2 tablets per gallon.