Mead, Killing Yeast by Heating

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Dec 5 11:18:53 PST 1996

Heilsa All!

I got the cast off my hand this morning & the stitches out!  Yay!!!

I would not heat any mead I brewed (or rather, that my lovely and extremely
talented brew-master lady brewed) to kill the yeast unless I had some way of
controlling the temperature exactly.

Alcohol boils at 175 deg F.  We have used this to good effect in small
distillation experiments.  When we distill to end up with a brandy, we
usually try to hold the temperature at about 180  - 185, so we'll have some
of the flavorants from the original brew as well as the straight ethanol.

If you try for 160 deg F and don't have a good way of monitoring and
controlling your temperature, you're likely to drive off the alcohol you
worked so hard to get in the first place!!

Wassail and God Jul,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde