Shields

dentim at mail.myriad.net dentim at mail.myriad.net
Fri Dec 6 12:33:07 PST 1996

Greetings!
Kateryn queried.....

_>I hope I'm not the only terminally lost person here, but all I remember
>is:
>>Round (well, yeah, sorta obvious)
>Kite  (see above)
>I simply don't remember the others.  I know one of them is heraldic shield
>shaped, but which?
>
>Kateryn
>Grimfells

 =========
 =       =
 =       =
 =       =
 =       =
 =       =
 =       =
 =========   Scutem- big & square, originally Roman

 =========
 =       =
 =       =
 =       =
 \       /
  \     /
   \   /
     V       Heater - tapers to a point.I dont think the word is period, but
more of a description of the shield, ie: it looks like an old fashioned iron
heater.

  _______
 /       \
=         =
=         =
\         /
\        /
 \      /
  \    /
   \  /
    \/     Kite- a longer heater(covering to the ankels).Usually rounded on
the top.

  O  -   Round (duh)  also  called  a target.

 also there is the Wankel, which I think is an SCA invention. Think of an
equilateral  triangle with the sides bulging out. Named after part of a
Wankel rotary engine.

I'm sure there are others!

timo
littlescumsuckingmutantleftyASCIIartist