Shields

Michael Gunter michael_gunter1 at msmail.fnts.com
Fri Dec 6 14:44:08 PST 1996

Dear Kateryn and anyone else confused,

I'm sorry if the discussion has gotten confusing.  We sometimes forget that
some terms aren't so obvious to people that don't use them all the time.

Heater:  the "iron" shaped shield.  Most used heraldically.

Scutum:  a rectangular shield.  Named after the Roman Legionarries shields.

Wankel:  Shaped like a heater but more rounded.

Kite:  A long triangle with the base at the top and rounded.  Like a circle
with one part stretched out.

Round, Oval, Square pretty well explains themselves.

That about covers the majority of shields used nowadays.  I hope this helps.

Yers,

Gunthar