Why Drumming Kills a Bardic Circle

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Sat Dec 14 08:39:32 PST 1996

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Paulette L Ogg wrote:

> but what about the so-called bards that have to tell long boring stories
> that last as long if not longer than some of the drummers? or the singer
> that can hardly carry a tune? those things too will kill a bardic circle,
> I have seen many a drunk bard that didn't know when to quit, or the one
> that insists on finishing  every ones stories for them.

Then someone needs to talk to them about this.  Not sure what you do about
the drunk ones.

> thing....Most of us only get to drum or dance at events, just as some
> bards only get to sing or tell stories at events,

This is a cop-out.  If I could find time to read when I was in school,
then anyone could find time to practice.  It isn't that hard to sing/ tell
stories to you windshield in the morning.  How hard is it to snatch a
small time away, maybe when you're not doing much, or waiting or whatever,
to pat out rythms on a thigh, couch/etc (anyone who wants to argue Inner
Game of Music can e-mail me privately).  You can work dance into you
arobic work-out time.  It works some unusual muscles, but worth it.

If you want to be good, you will find the time.  If you don't care, don't
whine about not having time.  If you would like to learn how to practice
more effectively, ask.  It is my job to help you.

mundane bard and teacher of bards,

Kateryn
Grimfells