vigil or not?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Dec 19 08:17:39 PST 1996

Sir Burke stated the SCA and real definitions of "vigil" as I
understand them.

I understand that "a tea", meaning an informal gathering with little
things to munch on and little things to drink, is a word usage coined
in Victorian times.  Sir Burke pointed out that the period meaning of
"vigil" is somewhat different from ours.  Can anyone think of a term
closer to period for "an informal gathering for talking and with
little things to munch on and little things to drink"?  If so, I'd
rather use that.  It's hard to imagine that they didn't have the
concept, but maybe they just said "My lords, pray come up to my
chamber this evening.  We'll talk, and I'll have little things to
munch on and little things to drink.".

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel