Gold Lame' joke

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Mon Dec 16 15:20:00 PST 1996

Jovian, I appreciated your original discourse concerning decorative use of
clothing - and have the following to say with regard to your defense of
those words. For the record, and this is having had some previous direct
association with Gio's sense of humor, I saw the humor in his lambaste of
lame' as well as the deeper considerations for encouraging / improving
authenticity in costuming...

More generally, I will note that the use of "faux" *anything* in re-creating
our costuming directly follows the practices of our various ancestors --
even most / many of those who could afford the real stuff. Consider for a
moment the many ingenious forms of fake jewels, reduced-cost fabrics, and
adulterated metals that have been found in jewelry and surviving clothing.
In particular relation to clothing, it behooves us all to think upon the
many variations developed to reduce the cost of silk cloth (weaves I have
learned some about, and think I've seen some reference to blended threads).

The discussion I lead in class form ("Everyday Ornamentation") includes as
many basic references on this general matter as I can dredge up or encourage
the participants to divulge. My thanks for the brief description of the
"border export control officer": consider same swiped, in form if not in
details.

I hope that I am at least as guilty as most in trading off between humor and
formality, frivolity and study, as I note many of the "best" voices on this
list (and in Ansteorra) are. Making no claims to perfect authenticity in
*any* of my endeavors within the SCA, I can still comment upon matters
related. And try harder the next time I create something, or spout off with
an opinion, or present solid documentation.

Thanks for *your* example.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!