Titles

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 11 09:19:27 PST 1996

> My own 2-pence worth is that I think of a title as an extension of the
> persons name.

Only if the person wants it to be though.

> So John Smith gets his AoA and his name effectivly becomes
> Lord John Smith.

Yes, but does it really mean anything to him or anyone else? I got an
AoA, and all it means to me is something that I can put in a frame for
non-SCA people to see and think is cool. Sorta like my BS diploma.

> It is sort of like levels for a character in a game.  The
> level 1 fighter vs. the level 15 fighter says quite alot about the fighters
> ability.

Yes, but knowing someone is a Laurel means more than calling them
Master/Mistress, IMO. The honorific is more of a form of personal
glorification.

My title at work doesn't mean I have a new honorific with it. I think it
is a difference of terminology that I am nit picking at.

Btw, it's a personal preference. I go by nothing but Pug. On the other
hand, I've heard very few people refer to Mistress Claire as anything
else.

(Is sending some messages to both lists. If people want to continue it
on both, instead of one, they will need to add the other one to the
headers. The draw back is some people will receive 2 copies of the
message.)

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"