Titles

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Jan 11 11:08:38 PST 1996

> From:          "Pug" <pug at arlut.utexas.edu>
> I prefer everyone to be comfortable and close than distant and
> stuff. At least that is how I view it.

I don't call my father "Phil." He has a title and variations that are
appropriate, such as "Dad."  For me it's a sign of respect to call him by
these
titles.  At the same time it's a sign of indearment.

I'm sure it's different for different folks.

Antonio

"Dad" is not a title. You don't call your father "Mr. Walden", do you?

In the same way, "dad" is to "Mr. Walden" as "readheaded Clare" is to "Lady
Clare".
The latter is a title, the first is .. is.. hmm. Nickname is not exactly the
word
I'm looking for.

You aren't asking simply for formality, are you?

Stefan li Rous