last names

Hugh Niewoehner hughn at ssd.fsi.com
Mon Jul 29 09:18:48 PDT 1996

I have references to thane in two languages from my titles list.

Language: SAXON
Source: Anglo - Saxon Chronicle
	Thane - advisor or counselor.  Often with judicial authority

Language: IRISH
Source:  Focloir Poca.  English-Irish/Irish-English Dictionary.  Angum : An
Roinn Oideachais.      1986.  MacNeill, Eoin.  Celtic Ireland.  Dublin :
Academy Press, 1981.

Thane (Thayn) - "Liege" or Taoiseach with total authority - NOT THEGN
	->Taoiseach (Tweeshuich) - Spokesman, clan patriarch, modern Irish Prime
minister, 		or Warlord.
Thegn (Thane) - Head of Family.  Aka: Ceann-finn

>Off the top of my head, if "thane" verifiably means "lord", then it runs
>afoul of the rule stating that no name may be registered which claims a
>noble rank as part of the name.
>- - Donal O Dochartaigh, Asterisk Herald

The first Irish reference may be a problem.

The second could conceivably be used by anybody claiming Irish origins.

IIRC: The Mid-realm crown awards the title "Thane" to their most trusted
counselors for the duration of the reign.  If the crown is not present at an
event a thanes decision or words on a matter may be taken as those of the
crown in absentia.   This is an obvious adaptaion of the Saxon definintion.

Anybody else?

Oh yes, crass advert.  I've been building a list of terms and titles for
warlord, guard(ian), protector, sword, spear, etc. in a number of different
languages.  If you've any researched and conveinient I'd appreciate them
being sent to me.  This is useful when you want to sponsor a tourney but
don't want just another "Protector" or "Guardian" named tourney.  So...say
it in another language. Even if it means the same it won't sound the same.
:-)

Regards,
     Damon