Ansteorran Rules Website Overhaul

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 30 14:47:17 PDT 1996

> > Greetings to the Noble Otto from Sir Kief, Marshal at Large in Ansteorra. Well,
> > shucks, I hate to be a wet blanket neighbor (and here's that nasty word), but,
> > your publication of the Complete Participant's Handbook, while admirable, is
> > costing the Kingdom and the Marshalate much needed funds. The Handbook is sold
> > through the stock clerk of the Kingdom to help defray costs and produce a bit
> > of revenue.

If there is something besides cost of printing/mailing, then there is no
loss of incoming. If it is over that cost, then yes there is some. I had
assumed that other areas of the Kingdom's income would defray the cost
of this since they will not be bought in mass and have a high startup
cost. (ie. you have to keep so many on hand in case they are bought)

In part this is what made my decision for putting our Baronial
newsletter on line. Since we are making no profit from it, and the lack
of subscricptions wouldn't cause a lost, we did it. In this day and age,
printing and mailing costs can easily be thrown out the window on the
net.

>>  Each Knight Marshal has recieved a copy of the Handbook for the
> > group files, this is _not_ anyone's personal copy, 'tis the group's. A blanket
> > mailing would be prohibitively expensive. (And unused/useless to most of the
> > members of the Kingdom.) If (and I stress if) the Handbook had been copyrighted
> > you would be in direct violation of the law. The cost of the Handbook is not
> > very high, and can be had by any fighter/marshal/interested indivdual from the
> > Ansteorran Stock Clerk. So, while you are doing a "good and neighborly" thing
> > for your brothers and sisters, you are also, in a small way, hurting the Kingdom.
> >
> > This letter is for general information and my be re-posted only in it's entirety

Damn. There went my first edit job to get rid of what I wasn't
responding to. *wink*.

> > With respect and in friendship...
> The following is from the Introduction:
>
> Members of the Society for Creative Anachronism may copy and distribute this Handbook, in whole or part, so
> long as credit is given to the source and all copied information is presented unchanged and within its
> original context.

IMHO, that makes it fairly clear that that is what they intended to do;
Defray their own cost by having people spend their own copying costs on it.
Not to mention legit.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"