Our History

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Fri Jun 14 08:38:00 PDT 1996

Estrill Swet (Deborah Sweet) brings before us a suggestion:
>  Subject: Our history was Re: Baroness Regina, rumour confirmed
>  [Lovely tale of elevation of Baroness Regina de Masquere SNIPPED]
>  Now, if we could only read other reports like this one, *describing* how
>  other people are ceremoniously elevated. *This* is what needs to be
>  collected in our history, IMHO.

I certainly would agree with Estrill.  It is a matter of some regret for me,
personally, that I was not able to be present when several old and dear
friends received their accolades within the SCA.

Not only that, but any number of other occurences take place that one may
learn about only years later even if physically present at the same event.
 Presentations before the court of regalia, acceptances as apprentice or
squire, the reception of ambassadorial visitations -- any of these may be of
particular memorable qualities.  So, too, may certain lapses of memory or
confusions which produce humor (such should of course be chronicled with the
appropriate humor meticulously and scrupulously preserved!)

Once, in the time of the histories, it was the duty of the chroniclers,
heralds, and bards to make such records and maintain them.  In later courts,
in later times, the function of creating histories was accorded to formal
historians.

At the present, it is my understanding that Ansteorra still seeks applicants
for the office of Kingdom Historian; it is also my understanding that the
duties of the office are currently far more archivist than writer or
compiler of histories.  Our chroniclers in the Current Middle Ages are far
more concerned with the future than that which has already passed
(announcements of upcoming events and publication of new administrative
rulings far outweigh descriptions of what has already *been*).

Is there a solution?  Possibly.  Is there a first step toward a solution?
Absolutely:  each of our memories, preserved in the form of personal
journals or submitted to the various chroniclers of our acquaintance in the
form of event reports.

Who knows?  Somewhere out there might be the spiritual heir of Rootie
Kazootie, tongue-in-cheek recorder of events whose tales were once a beloved
portion of the SteppesLetter -- and whose true identity remains unknown to
the general populace even today.

Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)  s.k.a. Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri
al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!