Whitsun Faire

Wendy Erisman werisman at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 4 09:31:35 PST 1996

The Barony of Bryn Gwlad presents

Whitsun Faire and Tourney
May 10 - 12, 1996
Lake Wood Recreation Center
Gonzales, Texas

It is May of the year 1196 A.D. An English baron who holds lands in
Warwickshire has decided that the holiday of Whitsunday will be a good time
to invite his fellow nobles and knights to test their mettle in a tournament.

Our baron, having obtained a license from the Crown to hold this tournament,
has decided also to make the occasion a memorable one for the common folk
who work his lands by granting them permission to hold a fair and market.

In the spirit of this holiday, we have planned many traditional activities:
games, dancing, footraces, wrestling and archery competitions, jesters,
bards, and a hobby-horse. There will be no feast, but taverns and vendors
will provide food and drink.

MERCHANTS, ARTISANS, PERFORMERS
Anyone who would like to participate in our fair is most welcome, but we do
request that merchants display only period wares. For more information and a
license to sell or perform at the fair, please contact the steward (address
below) by May 1, 1996.

FIGHTERS
We will be holding a challenge tourney for ransoms. Fighters are asked to
bring several small prizes for use as ransoms. To obtain a license to fight
in this grand event, you must contact the steward (address below) by May 1,
1996.

Site fee: $5 for adults; $2 for children 6-12
          Make checks payable to SCA, Inc./Barony of Bryn Gwlad

Site opens at 5 PM Friday and closes at noon Sunday.

The site is the Lake Wood Recreation Area on the banks of the Guadalupe
River in Gonzales, Texas. It has a shaded camping area, water, showers,
flush toilets, and some electrical hook-ups. Stores and restaurants are
nearby in Gonzales. For hotel information, contact the steward. The site is
wet. Pets are welcome but must be accompanied by a Rabies Certificate and
must be kept under owner's direct control. Fires are allowed in existing
fire rings only. Swimming is permitted but be advised of dangerous currents.
The placement of pavilions in the list fair areas will be at the discretion
of the steward and the tourney and fair marshals. Vehicles must be in the
designated parking area by 10 AM Saturday.

Directions
>From Bryn Gwlad: Take Hwy 183 south to Gonzales. Turn right on US 90A and go
4 miles to FM 2091. Turn left and follow signs to site.
>From Bjornsborg: Take I-10 east to Seguin. Turn right on US 90A and go 30
miles to FM 2091. Turn right and follow signs to site.
>From Stargate: Take I-10 west to Hwy 183. Go south on 183 to Gonzales. Turn
right on US 90A and go 4 miles to FM 2091. Turn left and follow signs to site.

Steward
Lady Gwenllian ferch Maredudd
Wendy Erisman
1412 Broadmoor, Austin, Texas 78723