Recognizing Skill and Good Works

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Nov 4 22:34:54 PST 1996

Daniel de Lincoln asked:
<snip>
>Who was that woman dressed as -- "Elizabeth De<something>"?  Gunnora
>was in it up to her eyestalks; doubtless she'll report.
>(Ppppplease?)  Even for someone who had to have the history explained,
>it was hilarious to watch the longer-term members' reactions.

Heilsa, Daniel!

        Yup, that was the unforgettable Lady Elisabeth d'Erisby, famed in
song and story.  Mari's first persona, originally developed when she got
into the SCA at age 16 or so... she grew out of Elisabeth and into Mari over
the years (plus the costumes were a hell of a lot more comfortable!!)  The
reappearance of d'Erisby (as she was popularly known) was a joint effort
spearheaded by Mistress Jehanne d'Avignon, who as Mari's apprentice wanted
to do something unforgettable to help Mari celebrate the XX Anniversary.  I
had the last existing Elisabeth d'Erisbey dress in my closet, which I
contributed to the effort.  Jehanne did the rest, including the amazing
(and, of course, historically accurate) chestage.

        The look on Mari's face was apparently a study.  Everyone who knew
Mari before the switch to early Celtic chieftess-hood was likewise vastly
amused and bemused.

        I hear a rumor that Lady d'Erisby is a big fan of that playwright
Shakespeare, and may be attending upon Baron Edwin Fitz Lloyd's court at
Twelfth Night...

Wassail,

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva