? Legalities of Homebrewing

Pug Bainter pug at interval.net
Wed Nov 6 09:38:53 PST 1996

>>In all actuality, it is the FEDERAL government that has given us the right
>>to make our own alcoholic beverages.  I do believe a law was passed in
>>1976-1977 stating that an adult may make up to 40 gallons of wine or 80
>>gallons of beer per year without license or permit.  Provided that the drink
>>is not sold or given to minors.

The home production of beer is recognized by federal statute so long as
such production is not in violation of state law. The age to manufacture
it is based on the state law as well (based on age to buy it). I believe
in Texas you are allowed to give alcohol to your own children though.

I believe, no matter what, you have to have a license to sell it.

Btw, it's 1978, but close enough.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that people are looking to
> see how much the various states allow, since in both the cases of Texas and
> Oklahoma, the state permitted "maximum" exceeds that of the federal
> guidelines.

That is correct. Although not that far off since the the Federal
Government states the following:

   (1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are 2 or more adults in
   such household, or

   (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only 1 adult in such
   household.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something