Prejudices within Our Society

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Mon Nov 18 11:40:50 PST 1996

On 18 Nov 1996, Michael Gunter wrote:

> Another problem that has occured is the seeming lack of interest by rapier
> fighters in the other activities going on at events.  Often when an armored
> championship bout is going on (I have even seen this done at a Crown
> tournament) the light fighters are off in a corner having their own
> get-together.  There are also several occassions when the rapier fighters
> would only show up on Sunday to fight in the list and then go home.  They
> never showed interest in any other part of the event.  They missed the
> Championship tournies (if they have no interest in the armored combat that is
> understandable), the bardic fires, and many other parts of what makes the SCA
> unique.  People, not just us heavies, have often felt stung by this
> disinterest.

I have heard the same complaint about chronic stick-jocks.  Fortunately,
the locals aren't quite so bad here.  They're concerned with the
practical- costuming, brewing, armoring and having something to sing while
drinking.  As for myself, I am afraid you will have to count me in the
terminally rude, as I would much rather knit/embroider/cruise
merchants/gossip/etc. than watch combat.  Ok, Ok, I can be torn away from
my work to watch the last round, but I am disinclined to go to Crown
Tourney unless I am being fought for (unlikely in the extreme, Richard
doesn't fight and I do NOT want to be queen).

> The Renaissance created so many new styles of thought, art, and clothing over
> the nearly 500 years of Middle Ages that as garish and attention-grabbing as
> some of the styles of the varied MA cultures were, they did nothing compared
> to the Renaissance styles.  Us early types can blur our perceptions somewhat
> through Celtic, Byzantine, Viking, Burgundian, and all that.  But many have
> found the Cavalier styles distracting.  They can see through the viking
> wearing tennis shoes but be bothered by the perfectly authentic French
> Gallant wearing the lace and feathers.  This is a prejudice that will only be
> cured by time and acceptance.  (And maybe sometimes calming down some of the
> outfits?  Hey, we can work both ways here.)

You've not met Master (I think) Demetrius from Vatavia, have you?  Only
person I know who wears construction-sign orange and electric grape
popsicle together and gets away with it.  He's a Byzantine, of course.
I can deal with the Viking in tennis shoes (our period footwear is
Birkenstocks, we simply haven't got to footwear yet).  What I can't stand
is the time I was informed that a curved crotch seam is period because
"that's the pattern we alwaysed used" and my more authentic and EASIER
gusseted pattern was "too hard".  God forbid anyone wear anything but
t-tunics around here...but htis could be the fustrated ramblings of
someone who bothers to do the costume research.  Sorry.

> Now I know that the rapier proponents are heating up their flamers and are
> gladly sharpening their counter-point.  You now are certain that I'm one of
> those swasher-hating, club-wielding jerks who will do anything to destroy
> swash.

No, you're more articulate than the ones *I* have met.

> In this you are incorrect.  I admire the work and skills of many in
> the rapier community.  I feel that prejudice can be overcome and may even
> want to put on light armor again some time later.  All I wish to do is get
> some of those nasty little problems out of the basement and in the air.  Many
> rapier fighters feel there is an unreasoning hatred of thier chosen art just
> because they're different but I hope to show that this just ain't so.  There
> have been problems on both sides of the fence and with open eyes and
> cooperation I think this fence can be torn down.

Thank you.  I, too, would put my efforts into pulling down these walls.

Kateryn
Grimfells

"Rejoice, for the upstairs neighbors have moved out!!"  :)