Why I Hate Fencing

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 18 18:25:15 PST 1996

Gretings and wel mett, Cosyns,

Lyonel here.

Viscount Galen wrote:

>dennis grace wrote:
><snip>
>> We in the SCA have long maintained a bizarre tension between fencing and
>> heavy fighting.  That tension has kept fencing in the back room, so to
>> speak, for many a Societal Anno.  Only about half the SCA Kingdoms currently
>> recognize the White Scarf (the rest just roll their collective eyes), a
>> factor which I blame for the result that fencers with peerages are about as
>> common as three-headed sheep (okay, now, someone ignore the rest of this
>> posting and address this one claim--I dare you).
>
>Off the top of my head, and without looking to see what anyone posted:
>Don Tivar Moondragon, Pel.
>Mistress Atheylyan of Moondragon, Pel., Cadet to Don Robin
>Don Robin of Gilwell, Pel.
>Don Galen Niccolli, KSCA
>Don Christian Richard Dupre, KSCA, Pel.
>Don Eldric de Charbonneau, ML
>Master Thomas of Tenby (formerly Cadet to Don Blayne)
>Don Simonn of Amber Isle, Count, Viscount, KSCA, ML
>Don Sigmund the Wingfooted, Duke, KSCA, Pel., ML
>Don Dinaris the Wanderer, Graf, KSCA
>Master Ambros (formerly a cadet)
>Don Iolo FitzOwen, ML
>Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA (I killed two Dons in Rebecca's
>Queen's Champion Tourney)
>Sir Barn Silveraxe (who -- as Earl Marshal -- fought in the most
>recent Queen's)

Well struck, Your Excellency.  Unfortunately, 'tis my week for typos (I also
shrunk myself by almost a foot in another posting).  Let's try "the result
that fencers with peerages FOR FENCING are about as common as three-headed
sheep." Well, maybe TWO-headed sheep.

Yours in Syntactically Negligent Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)