New fighters

Russell Fleming rfleming at tenet.edu
Tue Nov 19 20:59:33 PST 1996

>when I joined the SCA new "heaveys" were broke in by
>putting them in armor and beating them like a pell

>Um, this has changed? Maybe in a strange way it's better than the cold
>shoulder treatment that many new fighters get now ...

When I joined the SCA I was also used as a pell. This was not fun, but did make me learn to defend myself quickly.  Now that time has passed and people have come and gone the thought of training has changed. The fighters in our shire now work together to teach the newer people. We have setup a basic training schedule of steps to follow. Once a newbie shows a good understanding of a step then he/she is moved to the next step and so forth. To date I have not been told of any fighters feeling like a pell anymore.

This is new thing here in Adlersruhe but it seems to be working well.

Wilkin