New fighters

ches ches at io.com
Wed Nov 20 06:40:45 PST 1996

Actually, I have found that unless you are willing to make the first step
to be freindly no one will approach you. I agree that this is not the way
we should conduct ourselves. But we have to be realistic. A freind just
called me from Abilene and told me a interesting story that really hits on
this subject. She and her husband just moved there. Their second priority
was to find a church to go to. They went to several (I did not get a
number) but none had elders or greeters that were doing their specific job
of greeting newcomers to the church and making them feel welcome.
Depressed at the possibility of having to join a church that did not
seeming care to have new members she asked her mother help out. Mom lives
2 hours away but had a friend who just moved to San Angelo. He told her
about a church that was the friendlist one in town. My friend looked in
the phone book and sure enought it is titled the Friendlist Church In
Abilene. They went there and immeditaly were greeted by 12 people each.
Then at the after church donats and coffee there were more to greet them.
She likened it to a Sorority Mixer where every person had their assigned
duty. Person Number 1 had a list of people to greet, person number 2 was
not far behind to pick up on the greetings once number 1 one done etc...

Perhaps it is not a cold shoulder but rather a system shut down. We have
forgotten how to greet. We have no personable system to make new comers
welcome. When I first moved to the Steppes I was overwhelmed by the
enthusiasm and cheerfulness of each of the meetings I went to.
 Everywhere I went someone had chocolate something in thier hands to offer
first to the new faces then thier fellow Steppers.

My husband however is a light weapons fighter and feels this cold
shoulder everytime we go out to practice. He is a loner to begin with, so
he is not much help in the cheeriness department. He will be ok after a
while, I hope. We cannot just blame ourselves for this, but taking some
responsility for our part is very important.

Enthusiasticly,
Ches